Mag&Read 7″ Tablet by Synapptic
Android Tablet – enhanced for low vision
The Mag&Read Tablet is easy to use and accessible to people with vision impairments. If tablets are too difficult to see or too confusing to use, Mag&Read Tablet, by Synapptic, is designed for you.
- Features a 5 mega-pixel camera for clear magnification up to 10x
- Includes a powerful reader that quickly scans printed text and reads it back to you
- Simplifies the tablet interface to make it easy to do email, browse the web and more
- Displays high-contrast, large text that is fully customizable
- Speaks the menus and selected text
- Operates via touchscreen or voice commands
- Try the FREE 15-day trial on your tablet
- Add the workstation accessory package to transform your Mag&Read Tablet into a portable desktop video magnifier
For less than the price of a handheld video magnifier of equivalent size, the Mag&Read Tablet gives you an HD video magnifier, a document reader and so much more. The Mag&Read Tablet is designed to give users complete access to all typical tablet functions, presented in a large-text, high-contrast and speaking environment that is simplified for ease of use.
Operate the Mag&Read Tablet through easy-to-see, high-contrast, speaking menus (size and contrast color of your choice). The menus are simple to understand and use. If that’s still too confusing, you can even control the Mag&Read Tablet simply by talking to it and telling it what to do. Whatever you want to do on a smart tablet, the Mag&Read Tablet makes it easy and accessible.
The Mag&Read Tablet includes a powerful HD video magnifier and reader. It can magnify your reading materials as well as scan printed text and read it back to you aloud. There is also an accessible book reader and numerous other special features for people with visual impairment. You can even watch movies, listen to internet radio and enjoy other options for entertainment.
Add the workstation accessory package (shown below) to transform your Mag&Read Tablet into a portable desktop video magnifier so you can read larger documents, write checks, fill out forms, do crafts and more! A truly versatile solution!
ALL YOU NEED, ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE
The Mag&Read Tablet by Synapptic is light and portable so you can carry it everywhere you go.
Packed with helpful features such as a digital handheld magnifier, speech on every screen, voice-recognition, email, internet and a reading machine all-in-one, this tablet delivers ultimate versatility all in a single device.
The built-in speech and magnification mean you can use the Mag&Read Tablet at all levels levels of vision and if your sight changes, it can evolve with you.
GETTING STARTED WITH TECHNOLOGY THE EASY WAY
Synapptic is so intuitive to use that even if you’re new to technology or lack confidence, it’s easy to get started with its clear and simple menus.
You can even change the colors, menu layouts, magnification levels and speech options to make navigation easier for you. Our unique Touch & Release® touchscreen control means you can move your finger up and down each menu option and it will be read out, until you stop on the option you want to use. It’s as simple as that!
And built-in voice recognition means it’s easy to complete tasks, even if you’re not confident with using the keyboard. Simply say what you want typed into an email, a text messageor to search in the internet browser and it will appear and be read out on the screen.
IN-BUILT HELP & SUPPORT, SO YOU'RE NEVER ON YOUR OWN
A help button on every screen means you can access instant help documents and videos for that particular screen, ensuring you’ll never get lost or be stuck for too long.
Our unique built-in Lifeline® support feature means you’re only ever 3 taps away from accessing our remote support service.
This means that whatever screen you’re on we can access your phone remotely (with your permission) and provide technical support wherever you are.
THE FREEDOM TO MANAGE EVERYDAY TASKS FOR YOURSELF
Because the handheld video magnifier allows you to enlarge text or any object up to around 20 times, it’s ideal for magnifying menus, bus schedules, price tags, recipes, photos, reading materials, receipts and much more!
Our unique Tab & Jump® internet browser makes it easy to do your own online shopping, banking, or access information anytime, anywhere.
Using the reading machine makes it easy to translate any text into speech, including letters, mail and written instructions.
And our built-in Voice Control option makes it simple to control many of the features of your phone with just your voice. Select menus, dial numbers, write text messages and even compose emails making it easy to manage everyday tasks.
STAYING CONNECTED TO THE IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE
Keep in touch and share news with your friends and family through calls, emails, texts, voice messages and free Skype calls for friends and family living abroad. Our step-by-step menus mean you’ll find communicating easier than ever before.
Easy access to social media services like Facebook and Twitter means that you can share all those special experiences with your closest friends and family.
ENTERTAINMENT AT YOUR FINGERTIPS, WHEREVER YOU ARE
Catch up with all the latest news and features you’ve missed, with access to a wide range of local and national internet radio stations.
INTUITIVE, SIMPLE MENUS
- Find your way around with clear menus and bright, bold icons.
- The unique Touch & Release® touchscreen control means you can move your finger up and down each menu option and it will be read aloud until you stop on the option you want to use. It’s as simple as that!
- All screens have a consistent look and feel making them easy to learn and simple to use – once you’ve learned how to use one screen, you’ll know everything you need to use every other screen.
- Customize the Main Menu to display as a grid on one screen to make finding your way around Synapptic even easier
- Never get lost and always find your way back to the Main Menu with the red cross. Each screen has a red cross in the top left corner, which speaks out the words ‘cancel and go back’ when touched. Use this on any screen to go back to the previous screen.
- Change the magnification levels, color schemes, speech, voice speed and voice volume, beeps and other sounds, screen brightness, menu items, ringer and other volumes, menu operation, auto start, and lots more, to make navigation even easier for you.
SPEECH AND MAGNIFICATION AS STANDARD
- The Mag&Read Tablet includes natural-sounding speech on every screen.
- The handheld video magnifier feature can magnify text or any object up to around 20 times. Ideal for magnifying menus, bus schedules, receipts, price tags or food labels when you’re out and about.
- Change magnification levels to make the text you are reading or typing get bigger or smaller on every screen. Increase or decrease the magnification level to change the number of options on the screen.
- Use the arrow at the bottom of the screen to move to the next page of menu options, if there are more options than can fit on a single screen.
VOICE CONTROL & VOICE RECOGNITION
- Control the Mag&Read Tablet with just your voice. Select menus, dial numbers, write text messages, compose emails and lots more! All with just voice commands making it a truly hands-free device!
- Type messages faster by dictating them! Voice Recognition is amazingly accurate and words are automatically spell-checked.
- Dictate text messages, emails or any other text. Find the keyboard on the screen and use the microphone icon in the top right corner to enable Voice Recognition so you can dictate instead of typing.
- The Reading Machine uses a process known as OCR (Optical Character Recognition), which is used to convert text to speech.
- Photograph a document and have it spoken out! Operates by just tapping the screen. Simple to do, fast and accurate.
- Utilize the Synapptic reading stand for hands-free operation.
SEND AND RECEIVE EMAILS
- Use the Mag&Read Tablet to send and receive emails from anywhere you have an internet connection!
- Compose new messages, read messages, reply to messages, forward messages and delete messages.
- Use your tablet to effortlessly send and receive photos, documents, voice recordings and other attachments.
EMAIL MESSAGE MENU
- Select any message in your Inbox to read it, reply to it, delete it, save it or forward it
- All emails you receive are displayed on screen in large-print and are also spoken aloud making reading them easy.
WRITE A NEW EMAIL
- Even if you’ve never sent an email before, sending an email with Synapptic is simple. With magnification and spoken feedback, the keyboard lets you find each letter before you type it. If you’ve never used a keyboard before, you can dictate your message instead.
- It’s easy to browse the internet using the unique Tab & Jump® feature. This allows you to navigate a page easily, either between blocks of text, headings or links to other pages. Move around the page using magnification and touch, or by using the Next and Previous buttons at the bottom of the screen. As you move about the text on the page with the Next and Previous buttons, or touch an item on the page, a description for it is spoken aloud.
- The Web Browser Menu has options for searching the web, typing a web address, going to a homepage, keeping a list of favorite web sites and allowing easy navigation back to recently visited sites.
Watch ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, Discovery, History Channel and much more! More than 75 channels to choose from so you can watch TV on the go, outside or curled up in bed!
LISTEN TO INTERNET RADIO
- There are thousands of Internet radio stations broadcast through the Internet. We’ve picked 300 of the best US stations along with other key stations from around the world, for you to choose from.
- Listen to a local station, national station or the latest from around the world!
PLAY MUSIC, BOOKS OR OTHER MP3 RECORDINGS
- Playing a music MP3, a book or other MP3 recording couldn’t be easier. Large buttons on the screen make it easy to play and pause, rewind or skip forwards, move to the next or previous track or read out the name and duration of the current track.
- The MP3 player also has a high-contrast, large-text menu and all options are spoken aloud.
WATCH, LISTEN, DISCOVER, LEARN AND LAUGH WITH YOUTUBE!
- YouTube is an amazing resource for watching videos, listening to music, discovering and learning new skills or just watching the latest funny cat videos! And best of all – it’s all free and can be easily accessed through your Synapptic Mag&Read tablet.
CATCH-UP WITH NEWS AND OTHER STORIES QUICKLY AND EASILY
- The RSS News Reader makes it easy to catch up with the latest news from a variety of sources on the Internet. RSS feeds bring the news headlines directly to you, avoiding the need to search the web or search around an individual web page. Follow an area of interest and related news and articles will be sent directly to your device. News and other articles are displayed in plain text, but images and links can be viewed as well, if you select this view.
- Take photos with our fully speaking and large print camera! Using our step-by-step menus, zoom in or out, turn the flash on or off then touch the screen to take the photo.
- Photos can be attached to an email quickly and easily, so you can share them with friends and family.
- View and magnify photos on the screen. Move between saved photos using the up and down arrow keys at the top and bottom of the screen. The date and time for each photo is spoken aloud.
- Touch the screen to expand the photo to cover the full screen where it can be magnified further if needed.
- Sending a photo by email is as simple as pressing a button!
ONE ADDRESS BOOK FOR ALL CONTACTS
- Store all your phone numbers, email addresses, Skype addresses and mailing addresses in the Address Book: one place for all your contacts.
- The Address Book can be searched and all details are both spoken aloud and displayed in large print on the screen.
CALENDAR, REMINDERS AND ALARM
- Never forget or miss another appointment! Set calendar reminders or use the alarm clock to get up on time!
ORGANIZE MP3S INTO FOLDERS
- Organize your MP3s into folders, which can be easily setup and named. Store your favorite music, books and newspapers in easy-to-find folders.
SD CARDS AND MEMORY STICKS
- Play music stored on your tablet or play it from an SD card or memory stick.
TWO KEYBOARDS IN ONE!
- Rotate the Mag&Read Tablet 90 degrees and the keyboard will rotate to fill the whole width of the screen giving you a portrait or landscape view.
- Write notes, lists and other information using the keyboard or dictate using Voice Recognition.
- Notes can be saved and recalled later, or even emailed!
RECORD AND PLAY VOICE MEMOS
- Recording a spoken voice memo is a quick and easy way to keep track of important information without having to write it down. Recordings are listed with the latest one at the top and have the recording date and time automatically included.
- Each recording can be played back, emailed or deleted.
FIND YOUR CURRENT LOCATION (INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
- Use the built-in GPS feature to find your current location along with a list of restaurants, hotels, stores and churches etc. around you. The full address and street name is displayed and spoken aloud, along with names, addresses and telephone numbers of the places nearby.
- Place any object a few inches in front of the tablet’s camera and this tool will tell you the color and show it on the screen. It will also provide a more detailed description (dark green, sky blue etc.).
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide easily with the Synapptic large print, high-contrast and talking calculator.
PHONE AND TABLET INFORMATION (INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
- This option gives a quick overview of useful information about the tablet and includes phone signal strength, Wi-i signal strength, battery level, missed calls, current ringer mode, ringer volume, date/time and software version.
EASY TO ACCESS HELP
- Help is available throughout Synapptic. Just about every screen has a Help icon in the top right hand corner, which displays help documents and videos for that particular screen.
- In addition to the Help on every screen, the Help option on the Main Menu allows all the Help documents and videos to be searched.
- With the unique Lifeline® support feature built-in you’re only 3 taps away from accessing our Remote Support service. Whatever screen you’re on, we can access your phone remotely (with your permission) and provide technical support wherever you are.
“If I did not have my Synapptic tablet, I would be lost without it. I can keep in touch with all my friends on email and Facebook. The speech recognition is the icing on the cake – wonderful!”
Blind Veteran, Bedale
“Your Synapptic devices are the best things I have used in the ten years I have been blind. Thanks to the above, I was awarded a Blind Veterans UK Founder’s Day Award for I T training earlier this year.”
Leicestershire CareOnLine Training Officer
“Synapptic gives the user the very best opportunity to feel part of – and contribute to – the modern world, despite any level of sight loss.”
Blind Veteran’s UK
“Portable computing devices have revolutionised the way that our veterans use technology to enhance their everyday lives. The problem remains that these types of device offer no tactile feedback to people working without vision, and our users also need to be able to understand the paradigm under which the devices operate in order to use them effectively: home screens, apps, icons all seem like meaningless jargon to the uninitiated.
The Synapptic software brings recognisable order to the use of tablets by presenting ‘apps’ as items in a simple list; something that everyone can instantly understand. The design of the program, in terms of screen layout, is consistent throughout and this further enhances the usability of the tablet or phone.
At Blind Veterans UK we have been using the Synapptic program, as well as Synapptic tablets and phones almost since they were first developed. It is no exaggeration to say that these have been enormously beneficial to our veterans who can now undertake otherwise complex tasks easily. The ease of use has reduced the time our veterans need to spend training to use technology and Synapptic devices now account for around 70% of the training we provide. They are also a very cost-effective accessibility technology solution in comparison with traditional computers running accessibility software.
Blind Veterans UK and Synapptic have worked closely together for many years: the charity has now issued more than 1,000 Synapptic devices to veterans and has benefited from first-class support from the company. Synapptic will help any of our veterans with difficulties that might occur and can provide swift technical support to our IT Trainers and technicians. We find Synapptic responds well to our feedback, often incorporating our suggestions and observations into forthcoming versions of the product. Sales Director Ken Bridge is a regular visitor to our training centres and we feel that we have a close and fruitful relationship with the company. Videos that feature our veterans can be found on the Synapptic website here: http://www.synapptic.com/news.aspx
Synapptic has won praise from many organisations, including being the recipient one of our own Founder’s Awards for Technical Innovation. My personal feeling is that the Synapptic offering has always been excellent; it has transformed the way we teach people to make use of an online world. Synapptic has made it far easier for people living with sight loss to fully participate in the digital age from the comfort of an armchair or a favourite coffee shop, so has been life-enhancing for so many people”. David Dent, Senior IT Instructor, Blind Veteran UK
“Great session this morning with one of our current residents, Peter. He’s really chuffed that he’s been able to use his Synapptic tablet to access a speech he gave at the Pearson Air Museum in America, all about his experiences of the Blitz”. Matthew Holland, IT Instructor, Blind Veterans UK
“I found Synapptic’s social networking course at Blind Veterans UK’s Sheffield centre just excellent. I have just 5% sight, and this course will allow me to do things I did not think were possible. I will now be able to use Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Audio Book, which will make a big difference to my life. I have friends who live aboard and it will be fantastic to be able to contact them through Facebook from now on. It makes me feel whole.” Peter Warren, Blind Veteran
You may also like…
Synapptic Stand – Suction Stand$69.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Stand – Clamp Stand$69.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Mag&Read Book Adapter$15.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Keyboards – Yellow on Black$125.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Keyboards – White on Black$125.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Keyboards – Black on Yellow$125.00 Add to cart
Synapptic Keyboards – Black on White$125.00 Add to cart
Operating System: Android™ 5.1 Lollipop
Processor Speed, Type: 1.3GHz Quad-Core, T-Shark 2A
Product Dimensions (inches): 7.35″ x 4.27″ x 0.34″
Camera resolution (Front): 2.0 MP
Camera resolution (Rear): 5.0 MP AF
Digital Optical Zoom: 4X
Video Recording Resolution: 1080P | @30fps
Battery Type and Size: Li-Ion 4,000mAh
Music Play Time: Up to 100 hours
Video Play Time: Up to 9 hours
Internet Use Time: Up to 11 hours
ENERGY STAR® Certified: Yes
Internal Memory: 1.5 GB RAM, 8 GB ROM
External Memory/microSD™ Capacity: Up to 400GB (microSD™ card sold separately)
Wi-Fi: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth v4.0
Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, DI, HID, HOGP, HSP, OPP, PAN, PBAP
Location Technology: GPS,Glonass
Earjack: 3.5mm Stereo
Wi-Fi Direct: Yes
Main Display Resolution: 1280 X 800
Main Display Size: 7 ”
Main Display Technology: PLS TFT
GPS Navigation: GPS,Glonass
Multi-user mode: Yes
Audio Playing Format: MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WAV, FLAC