|Processor:||Core2Duo 2.0 Ghz or faster|
|Operating System:||Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)|
|RAM:||XP 1GB, Vista 2.0 GB, 7 – 2GB|
|HDD Space:||5 GB (to include document storage)|
- Capture & read back documents in as little at 2 seconds
- Scan documents up to 20 pages per minute, storing entire textbooks in minutes!
- Intuitive menus and navigation makes it easy to use at all skill levels
- Incredibly accurate OCR and text-to speech
- Uses the latest natural human voices
- Automatic language detection and switching – even on the same page
- 3 installations per user
The Readit Software is specifically designed for low vision and blind users allowing them to quickly scan printed documents or import electronic files and convert them into a more usable format that makes it easier and faster to read.
And with almost unlimited magnification, two color enhanced modes, line spacing adjustments, 6 viewing modes, custom highlighting and more, the Readit software has countless visual enhancement options that make viewing documents even easier!
You can also have your documents read aloud with the latest human sounding voices that are clear and easy to listen to. Or choose to navigate your document by word, sentence, paragraph and page using keyboard shortcuts for greater versatility.
*Check out the Readit Air (software and camera package) if you are interested in scanning large documents or textbooks at up to 20 pages per minute. You can then store them on your PC, laptop or Mac* and never need the physical book or document again!
Who is Readit for?
Readit is for any low vision or blind computer user who wants nearly instant, easy and accurate access to printed documents (via scanner or Wand) or electronic documents.
Readit could be the ideal system for you if…
- Are used to using a standard magnifying system but find the constant movement of text on the screen and the continual repositioning of your documents make you tired, nauseous or just frustrated.
- Would like to be more independent and read your own documents.
- Prefer reading documents in a particular type of font.
- Can read documents more easily if the size of the font or spacing between lines is adjusted.
- Find that when reading a whole page of text, the characters or words move around and it becomes difficult to follow the document.
- Find that you can more quickly understand a passage of text if someone reads it out loud to you either at the same time as you are reading it, or separately.
- Find reading with a video magnifier too difficult because you can’t fit enough characters on the screen to read at your desired speed.
- Have a deteriorative eye condition and would like a system that is suitable both now and for the future.
- Need to read or study more than one language.
What are Readit’s benefits?
- Read faster and comprehend more of the document: This is Readit’s number one benefit. With its advanced text visualizations and styling modes, users can find their perfect viewing style and size which makes reading far easier and more enjoyable. This combined with speech output, can further increase reading speed for low vision users and make any document accessible for blind users.
- Easy to use: Readit has been designed to be as intuitive to use as possible. Sensibly grouped features, easy access toolbars with specially designed icons make it possible for users to start using the software with no training at all! All menu items also have their corresponding shortcut key listed and voiced so it’s easy to learn them without needing a manual!
- Scan and store entire textbooks (in minutes with Wand): Use standard flatbed scanners (from version 1.1 onwards) or the recommended Wand to capture documents and books at up to 20 pages per minute. Once documents have been captured or scanned, they can be stored on your computer, meaning you never need to carry them with you again! Readit even remembers your exact position in each document when you re-open it.
- Incredible accuracy: Readit uses the latest OCR (optical character recognition) technologies to ensure it is as accurate as possible. This means importing poor quality image based PDF files or previously scanned documents still give excellent results.
- 3 installs per user: Install the Readit software on up to 3 machines with every purchase, allowing the user to read and transfer their documents to multiple machines.
- Multi-touch support: Readit fully utilizes the power of multi-touch on Microsoft Windows 7 to make the software more accessible. Simply double tap on a word to start reading from it or use pinch zoom for example.
- Import and export documents: Import any existing electronic format document – PDF, Word, Email etc and reformat and read it directly in Readit. Export (including Quick Export) documents to Word, txt, RTF, MP3. MP3 export can be very useful as a revision aid. (Please note for most document import formats, either MS Office is required or a suitable PDF printer).
- High-quality speech: Using the latest natural sounding voices, Readit’s voices are clear and easy to listen to for long periods.
- Automatic language switching: Readit is the only low vision / blindness software currently available that features the revolutionary automatic language detection and switching. This makes it ideal for users wanting to read more than one language – even on the same page!
* Mac users must be running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer, together with VMWare Fusion 4.0 or newer with Windows 7.
- Magnification – 0.2-80X (effectively unlimited)
- Visualizations – 6 enhanced including unique overlay view
- Color Modes – Full, grey scale & binary. Customizable combinations
- Time to read – 1 to 15 seconds (hardware dependent)
- Supported Languages – over 20 (please see website for complete listing)
- Multi-page capture speed – up to 20 pages per minute
- Import formats supported – Adobe PDF, Image (BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF), MS Excel (XLS and XLSX), MS PowerPoint (PPT and PPTX), MS Word (DOC and DOCX), OpenDocument Formats (ODF), plain text (TXT), Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Export formats supported – Adobe PDF, Image (BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF), Microsoft Word (DOC and DOCX), MP3, Open Document Format (ODF) plain text (TXT), Rich Text Format (RTF)
See the table below for information on the Readit document format (VisionAid Document format (VAD)) and supported import / export document types with the Readit software
Please note, for importing and export for documents other than image files or PDFs, Microsoft Office must be installed on the user’s computer.
|VisionAid Document Format:||Size per page: 0.2 to 3 MB (typically 1MB per page)|
|Multi-page capture speed:||Up to 20 pages per minute|
|Import formats supported:||Adobe PDF, Image (BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF), MS Excel (XLS and XLSX), MS PowerPoint (PPT and PPTX), MS Word (DOC and DOCX), OpenDocument Formats (ODF), plain text (TXT), Rich Text Format (RTF)|
|Export formats supported:||Adobe PDF, Image (BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF), Microsoft Word (DOC and DOCX), MP3, Open Document Format (ODF) plain text (TXT), Rich Text Format (RTF).|
Recommended Computer Requirements
Minimum Computer Requirements
|Processor:||Single core Intel Atom 1.6Ghz or equivalent|
|Operating System:||Windows XP (32 bit only), Vista or 7 (32 or 64 bit)|
|RAM:||XP 512MB, Vista 1.5GB, 7 – 1GB|
|HDD Space:||Language dependent, minimum 400MB|